Country – Hong Kong
Official Languages – Cantonese, Mandarin, English
Currency – Hong Kong Dollar (HKD)
(1 HKD = 7.68 INR on 13 May 2014)
Time Zone – Hong Kong Time (HKT)
(IST = HKT+2 hours 30 minutes)
Airports – Hong Kong International Airport (IATA – HKG)
List of flight connections between India and Hong Kong
Official Tourist Website – Discover Hong Kong
When do Tourists Visit Hong Kong
- High Season – October to mid-January; May
- Average Season – March; April; September
- Low Season – Mid-January; February; June to August
Safety Advise on Travel in Hong Kong
- Hong Kong is generally safe, but pick pocketing may occur in isolated places
- Use/sale of drugs is prohibited and will carry heavy punishment
- Do not photograph military equipment, installation or people
- Typhoon season runs from April to October and may cause flooding
- Travel insurance is advisable
- ATM’s are widespread
- Credit cards are accepted every where, except on street stalls and public transport
- Travelers Cheques can be cashed out at many banks but they charge a fee
- Taxis are plenty and expensive compared to Indian rates. You will not need a taxi, unless you want to go alone.
- Buses are plenty, cheap and transport to almost all the parts of Hong Kong. Sit on the top deck of double deck bus to get great street views.
- MTR(Mass Transit Rail or Metro Rail) is fast, reliable and cheap. Use this for long distance travel. Consider buying an Octopus card.
- Star Ferry for transport between Kowloon and Hong Kong island. Ferries are available to the outlying islands also as well as Macau.
- Use the tram for traveling on the Hong Kong island. Once again find a seat in the top deck.
- Hong Kong dialing code is +852
- SIM cards can be purchased at 7-Eleven or Circle-K stores. The cost of a tourist SIM card starts from HKD 69. Call rates using this card is HKD 0.45/minute to India. Alternatively using, VOIP service provided by Local Phone or Rebtel will cost you more than ten times lesser.
- WiFi is provided by most of the hotels and restaurants. Government provided free WiFi(network name is GovWiFi) hotspots are available in public places like parks, MTR stations, etc.
- Post boxes are located conveniently around the city. Postal stamps can be brought at convenience stores.
- Consulate General of India
26-A & 16-D, United Centre, 95, Queensway, Admiralty, Hong Kong
+852 3970 9900
- Hong Kong visa for Indian tourists
- Flights to Hong Kong from India can be booked on Yatra or Expedia
- Hotels in Hong Kong can be booked on Yatra, Expedia or Hotels.com
- Itineraries for Hong Kong
- What to see in Hong Kong
- Indian restaurants in Hong Kong
- Restaurants in Hong Kong for Indians
Image Source – https://www.flickr.com/photos/stuckincustoms/928505775/